Thanks for taking some time to chat with From the Green Room
- What’s the name of the band?
The band is called Minneriket. The name roughly translates into “The realm of memories”. As a concept, Minneriket is this unique realm, transcending the worldly and the profane. The name is nostalgic by nature: not necessarily looking back but mirroring a cyclical weltanschauung reflecting memories as both experiences, hopes, dreams and wishes.
- Where are you from?
Norway, born and raised.
- What type of music do you play?
When I launched Minneriket I labeled the music as “Romantic black metal”, challenging the orthodox understanding of what constitutes black metal as a genre, and removing the shackles of genre limitations and audience expectations. I define Romantic black metal as a musical artform that combines and incorporates themes and aesthetics associated with romanticism with the unique atmosphere of Norwegian black metal.
- Introduce yourselves to the readers and tell us what you do in the band?
My name is Stein Akslen and I am the sole and founding member of Minneriket. I compose, record, write and produce everything. Lately I have been collaborating with several session musicians on the previous and upcoming album, but in general I do everything myself and Minneriket is a one-man band.
- This is probably a common question but one that most want to know, what musical influences did you have growing up, and what are some now?
Growing up it was a lot of Iron Maiden, Offspring, Bad Religion, Burzum, Mayhem and Gorgoroth. I guess you can still hear the punk-inspiration in my black metal, but I think Minneriket has forged a very unique sound. I like to be influenced by different genres and not limit myself, so I listen to a lot of ambient, classical, hiphop and singer-songwriter music.
- Have you always been into music? Was it something that just came to you naturally?
For as long as I can remember I have both been listening to and wanting to create music. There really was no other choice. Life is very poor without the gift of music.
- What can we expect from the band in the rest of 2022 and beyond into 2023?
I’m about to complete the demo recording of the new Minneriket album as we speak. The writing was completed last autumn, and I’ve been mapping up the ideas in the studio since then. I doubt the album will be completed this year, but hopefully I’ll be able to share a single either late this year or early next year. I focus 100% on completing it first. Most of the guitars are done, and drum recording should start soon.
- For someone who wants to know more about the band, were can they find you at? And were can they find your music?
The best source of information is of course the official Minneriket website at www.minneriket.com. Also be sure to follow on social medias for the latest updates and sneak peaks into new music and general banter. The music is available on all large streaming services, and there are links to both merchandise and music on my website.
- Let’s answer some fun questions, what is your all time favorite band?
Hard to choose, I enjoy a lot of different music. But I always come back to Burzum, Nick Cave, Bruce Dickinson and The Offspring.
- If you could tour with any band and open or have them open for you, who would you choose?
Minneriket is a one-man band and a studio project, touring does not interest me. Let’s say Minneriket could go live if I got Darkthrone as an opening act.
Thanks for chatting with me From the Green Room and look forward to chatting again in the future.